About The SHAPE System
The School Health Assessment and Performance Evaluation (SHAPE) System is a free, web-based portal designed specifically for school and district teams to assess and enhance their school mental health services.
Schools and Districts can use SHAPE to:
- Evaluate strengths and areas of growth in your school mental health system
- Engage your school mental health team in meaningful, data-driven, strategic quality improvement
- Access targeted resources to advance your school mental health quality and sustainability
- Achieve SHAPE recognition to increase opportunities for funding
Why would a district use SHAPE?
- Document what mental health services they have across tiers of support in the district
- Use a uniform quality improvement process to understand SMH strengths and needs throughout the district
- Standardize the process of school-community mental health partnerships in their district, while still allowing schools to individualize services to their needs
Why would a school use SHAPE?
- Document their school- and community-employed mental health staffing
- Identify what services they have for specific problem areas across a multi-tiered system of support (MTSS)
- Improve universal screening practices (or any other area of quality), but don’t know where to start
- Better partner with community mental health providers, but want to be sure that added services meet needs, and are complementary with and augment existing staff supports
What is the National Quality Initiative?
The National Quality Initiative NQI is an effort of the Center for School Mental Health (CSMH) in partnership with the School-Based Health Alliance (SBHA) to advance accountability, excellence, and sustainability for school health services nationwide by establishing an online census and national performance measures. The SHAPE System serves as the portal by which comprehensive school mental health systems can access the census and performance measures, as well as obtain customized school and district level progress reports and useful resources to improve system quality and sustainability. The School-Based Health Alliance hosts a similar portal that invites school-based health centers to access their respective census and performance measures via Quality Counts.
Funding support for the development of The SHAPE System comes from the Behavioral Health Administration via the 1915(c) Home and Community-Based Waiver Program Management, Workforce Development and Evaluation and the Maternal and Child Health Bureau (MCHB), Division of Child, Adolescent and Family Health, Adolescent Health Branch of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).