As a part of the National Quality Initiative, funded by the Health Resources and Services Administration, CSMH is creating a series of Playbooks on school mental health performance measure domains. The CSMH is grateful for the support of the 25 school districts who participated in the School Health Services Collaborative Improvement and Innovation Network (CoIIN) and contributed to the development of these guides. We will continue to update this section as new guides are released. In the meantime, visit TheSHAPESystem.com for information about all 12 comprehensive school mental health national performance measure domains.
- School Mental Health Screening Playbook (released 1/23/2018)
- School Mental Health Screening Playbook webinar presentation
- School Mental Health Teaming Playbook (released 3/6/2018)
- School Mental Health Teaming Playbook webinar presentation
State of School Mental Health Briefing
Prepared for Expert Panel on School Mental Health Meeting
September 7, 2017
Issue briefs provide stakeholders with user-friendly information on critical themes in school mental health.
- Homeless Youth and School Mental Health
- Supporting the Mental Health Needs of Community College Students
- Promoting Wellness in American Indian Youth
- Telemental Health in Schools
- Corporal Punishment in Schools
- Foster Care and School Mental Health
- School Mental Health and HIPAA
- Persistently Dangerous Schools and School Mental Health
- School-Based Early Intervening Services
- Education and System-of-Care Approaches
- Political and Systemic Issues of Public Schools
- New Eyes: Meeting Challenges Through Communities of Practice
- School Reentry of Juvenile Offenders
- Cultural Competence and School Mental Health
- Suicide Prevention in the Schools
- Enhancing Student Connectedness to Schools
The CSMH is committed to enhancing the lives of our nation's youth by strengthening the policies and programs that relate to school mental health. The CSMH develops policy briefs to provide legislation updates that affects SMH.
- Understanding Bullying Policies in Schools
This CSMH document provides an overview of local, state, and national anti-bullying legislation. Key elements of successfully implemented state and local anti-bullying laws can guide schools as they work towards reducing and preventing the bullying. Recommendations for what schools can do are provided.
- Health Care Reform: What School Mental Health Professionals Need to Know
This CSMH policy brief provides an overview of health care reform and the implications for school mental health. The brief highlights important changes to health care under the Affordable Care Act and its potential impact on mental health services for children and families. There is also a list of helpful resources and websites related to health care reform.
In response to Maryland House Bill 639, Task Force on Community-Partnered School Behavioral Health, the Maryland legislature requested that the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) study and make recommendations to advance school behavioral health in the State. The Center for School Mental Health worked closely with DHMH, the Maryland State Department of Education, and the Maryland School Behavioral Health Coalition to address this request and to develop a report on the current state of Community-Partnered School Behavioral Health (CP-SBH). The following components were included in the report:
- Prevalence of CP-SBH programs in the State of Maryland
- Effectiveness of CP-SBH programs across the State and the nation
- Fiscally sustainable models of CP-SBH
- Practical and empirically-supported recommendations for advancing CP-SBH in Maryland
- Excellence in School Mental Health Initiative
- Measurement of Economic Costs in School Programs for Children and Youth
- Resource Mapping in Schools and School Districts: A Resource Guide
- Technology and the Adolescent: Pairing Modern Media and Technology with Mental Health Practice
- CSMH Comparative Review of Free Measures for School Mental Health