Maryland's Suicide Prevention and Early Intervention Network (MD-SPIN)
- Dr. Sharon Hoover, Project Director, Principal Investigator
- Dr. Nancy Lever, Training Director
- Dr. Sarah Edwards, Psychiatric Consultant
- Larraine Bernstein, Outreach and Training Program Manager
- Tom Sloane, Education Specialist Liaison
Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Behavioral Health Administration, with a grant from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA)
Length of Award
MD-SPIN provides suicide prevention training, resources, and technical assistance to advance a comprehensive suicide prevention and early intervention service system for youth and young adults, ages 10 to 24. The purpose of MD-SPIN is to reduce premature loss of lives from suicide by increasing the number of at-risk youth who are identified, referred and receive quality behavioral health services.
- High-risk populations of focus include LGBTQ, transition age youth, veterans and military families, and youth with emotional and behavioral concerns.
- Target settings are schools, colleges/universities, juvenile services facilities, primary care, and emergency departments.
Led by the Maryland Behavioral Health Administration, the University of Maryland, Department of Psychiatry is a key partner, along with the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health. Other partners include the Maryland Coalition of Families for Children’s Mental Health, the Community Behavioral Health Association of Maryland, and the public education system (K to 12th grades, university/college/community colleges, and juvenile facilities programs).
- Enhance culturally competent, effective, and accessible community-based services and programs
- Broaden public awareness of suicide
- Increase evidence-based training opportunities for professionals and others who work with high risk groups
- Assure effective services to those who have attempted suicide or others affected by suicide attempt or death
MD-SPIN key components
- Technical Assistance and Training Center
- Screening, training, and follow-up protocols in emergency departments and the inpatient units to which they refer
- Online gatekeeper training by Kognito’s Training Games and Simulations for Health